Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
Jaroslav wrote:
Sorry, unless you can post a direct historical sources which would back your theory, i'd rather believe what Polybius wrote. And he did not mentions any stars and stripes, horoscopes and stuff in his work on Roman army.. at least when i read the pages with the english translations of those texts i didnt see any..

I’ve had this before, if Polybius does not tell us it cannot be true. That is one way to limit your understanding of the Roman army. Censorinus talks a lot about the Roman horoscopes of Pythagoras, but unfortunately, Censorinus is not Polybius, so therefore dismissed. Try casting your net further afield and you might learn something. Do what I started back in the 80’s a make a data base of all the military maths in the primary sources and group them into period brackets of 50 years. See if you can recognise any mathematical patterns, see what is divisible by what and what interlocks with what. You will be surprised.

Jaroslav wrote:
plus, it doesnt even add up... Per you now, Principes and Triarii are Class I, yet in Legion, we have 1200 Principes, 600 Triarii  and 300 Equites. Your own numbers tell that Class I is as big as remaining classes together...yet, Hastati are just 1200 men strong... while Velites are another 1200 men strong group and you said they are not from Class II,III or IV, but from Proletarii

Well I did write this in a previous email. “Following Polybius that a legion consisted of four classes, by adding up Classes I to IV in the 35 tribes, the result is 126,000 men. By dividing the 126,000 men of Classes I to IV by 35 tribes, the result is 3,600 men per tribe. This is the core size of the legion. If I want an emergency legion, then I have 46,200 iuniores of Class V (proletarii or velites) to call up, which when divided by the 35 tribes gives the Romans an additional reserve of 1,320 men to add to the legion. However, if I only call up 1,200 men, then the legion increases to 4,800 men.”

Ok, you have now based my research as horoscopes, I get tired of the putdowns , so let’s agree to disagree and finish the discussion. This way I will have more time to concentrate on the compilation of the all the military numbers I have for the Social War and try and work out what is what.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by Steven James - 08-12-2016, 02:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,634 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,693 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis