Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms
Jaroslav wrote:
wait, this is getting more and more confusing.. were or were not Equestrian class separate from Class I? from what i read, they were separate, and on each assembly 1200 were selected to serve as Equites (300 per legion with 4 legions drafted)

The equestrian are part of Class I, and in relation to the five elements represent “heaven.” Pythagoras believed that the building blocks of nature itself consisted of five elements: heaven, fire, air, earth, and water, all formed into five mathematical solid shapes so that; “the globe of the universe was produced by the dodecahedron, the fire by the tetrahedron, the air by the octahedron, the earth was produced by the cube and the water by the Icosahedron.”

In total the five elements amounted to 14,400 degrees.

Heaven 6480
Fire 720
Air 1440
Earth 2160
Water 3600
Total 14400

Just like the Servian constitution, the element heaven is the largest in number. Class I represents heaven, Class II to fire, and the rest are distributed among Classes III to VI. Now the 35 tribes for 228 BC number 252,000 men, which equates to each tribe having a total of 7,200 men (both iuniores and seniores). Notice this figure is half of the total of 14,400 degrees. Class I being the largest number represents “heaven” so in 225 BC, the five elements look like this:

Heaven    3240
Fire            360
Air              720
Earth        1080
Water       1800
Total        7200

In 225 BC, Rome is at the half way point of the Pythagorean system. The five elements are the heart beat of the whole Roman system, it is the mathematical generator or the controlling element.

Jaroslav wrote:
If they are same class, then Class I gets bigger = 63000+12600 = 75600..so technically, when Polybius sais that only those with wealth greater than 10000 drachame used mail, he meant Class I. Yet that class was the biggest part of the legion, which again, cannot translate into Class I = Triarii assumption, because Triarii were actually the smallest part of the legion.

Both the principes and the triarii belong to Class I. I’ve got to much evidence for this. So this means the triarii and principes are armed the same and your theory of the hastati being armed in the same manner just might be on shaky ground.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army before and after the Marius' Reforms - by Steven James - 08-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need help w/early Roman formation and Marius. Hasdrubal 2 1,634 06-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal
  Army reforms of various emperors Praefectusclassis 8 2,693 05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis