Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line?
Like a lot of people you get inured -indoctrinated-by Hollywood movies. (I saw Ben Hur in a theater when it first came out-that dates me :lol: ).
What I'm trying to get in my minds eye-since I haven't seen any Osprey or color-plate on what would a Roman Legion look like during campaign before a battle with proper wear and tear. Weeks in the wilderness-marching, working, sweating, setting this up-taking this down, sweating - occasional skirmishes, sweating,false alarms.. I would think Legionnaires and Auxilary-while still first rate soldiers would have segments of armor missing (rotting leather fasteners awaiting repair), not glittering as much as in parade (Centurions and Officers above would look better). Tunics of various shades of red/pink. Various shades of brown leather. And dusty-always dusty (dried mud to). All of this while your supplies are pretty much what you carry (hence repairs are 'just-good-enough' and pushing it for 'just in-time'). [Standardization of armor/helmets is even a whole other issue].
When formed up for battle-it might appear the Romans looked a bit 'tattered'.
I know that is asking too much to have a reenactment group dress up looking very worse for wear after weeks/months of campaigning.
I have lived in Germany and areas of the world where there is high humidity. Desert climes where you get dry rot and color fade (UV rays from sunlight).
I'm just now coming to an opinion that much of the ancient statutes and reliefs are so much propaganda in showing units in a perfect form-much like you might see with say Soviet Realism or some totalitarian regimes statuary or base relief. It may give you indications on how they look on parade. But real life-every day?
After doing all that marching and duties-it's just enough time to keep weapons from rusting.
Definitely a difference between campaigns and garrison duties.
I hope I'm explaining myself properly. I did 4 years in the US Air Force-but my Father did 24 years in the US Army (Germany, Panama, Viet Nam) so I know the difference between inspection order-parade dress-and the day to day reality.

I'm 62, live out in Hawaii -but have a long interest in Roman History. No Roman history groups out here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-Rod Dickson

Messages In This Thread
Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line? - by Rod Dickson - 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did roman legions ever wear breeches? Leoshenlong 1 250 09-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman line relief LonginusXXI 2 1,050 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Calculating length of a battle line scamander 6 2,423 04-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K