Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
about swords, iron/steel and some physics
Quote:The quality of the iron from Llyn Cerrig Bach is very high. the slave chains were in fact used by a tractor to tow a vehicle out of the bog. The swords were found bent almost double but did not break under the strain. I'll try to find the data - will take a bit of time - but length, weight etc is always useful to know.
Pattern-welding doesn't come into its own untill the Anglo Saxons though, so the Llyn Cerrig Bach swords were certainly very early.

Its hugely discrediting to the Roman/Celtic/Germanic smiths of mid-late antiquity to say "pattern welding" did not into its own until the Anglo Saxons. Its a fact that after the 2nd century the Romans had pattern welded blades and developed further into late and post antiquity. Previous to this time I would argue yes more existed but other disagree. The issue I see now is people debating what "pattern welded steel" is. Piling layers of deferential carbon and phosphorus steel does make a visible pattern when polished.

Bottom line: is there any visible pattern in the steel? yes, then its pattern welded! Even in really simple and not purposeful designs it does exist.

Also Dan Howard makes a great point Ive never thought of which is who knows what is ceremonial and what is not.
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe

Messages In This Thread
about swords, iron/steel and some physics - by jackmcauliffe - 06-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iron/Steel muscle cuirass Damianus Albus 3 1,539 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Virilis