Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobnailed Caligae Indoors - Near Tragedy Averted
I hate to sounds like the "gun fanatic" in this case, but all of you are casting blame on the weapon (ie: Why was it allowed at the event? Only unsharpened weapons should be allowed at public events). Even an unsharpened sword or spear still has enough of a point that with a little bit of force behind it still has the potential to puncture someone, I myself have even swung a fat and blunt Indian sword clean through a pumpkin. Carelessness is the issue, the reenactor in question was careless, wearing hobnails on a hard surface while carrying a full load of heavy gear. Putting it bluntly, he was an idiot and put the entire reenactment community at risk. I have done several public and school events with all my gear, including my weapons (with permission) and have never had a single issue.

The problem is respect, the sword may be outdated, but it is still a weapon. Would you walk around swinging a loaded M4 with the safety off at a museum? No, so why would you voluntarily wear what is intrinsically banana peels on your feet with a sword and spear?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Messages In This Thread
Hobnailed Caligae Indoors - Near Tragedy Averted - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 04-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Tragedy SAJID 2 1,281 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Last Post: franciscus