Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"in pace recepti"?
It occurred to me that the defeats Germanics inflicted on Arminius must NOT have been very serious because when Arminius had to fight against Marobodus years later he came out victorious while the later spent the rest of his life in Ravenna and probably suffered greatly from the humid heat in the summer! The romans managed to keep the germans divided but that seems to be about it! Roman punitive expeditions could at best make superficial damage. Cheers<br>
<br>
p.s. I think the story of Caecina-vs-Arminius battle is also very nice. The Germans and Arminius' creativeness almost pulled it off again but it must also be said that the romans behaved very well too. They got themselves into a trap again, but once out of the marshes onto more solid ground they repulsed and broke the final german attack quite admirably. The troops of Caecina saw the bones of Varus' legionaries too? If yes I wonder what went through the minds of those fellows before the final attack. Considering the confidence of the germans and the fear of the romans - the Varus disaster was in the minds of everyone as an incentive for one side and a terrible handicap for the other - I admire the stand of Caecina's soldiers. Their training and resolve saved the day, in the best tradition!<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 7/10/01 3:18:37 pm<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Messages In This Thread
"in pace recepti"? - by Thiudareiks Flavius - 06-09-2001, 10:25 PM
interesting debate - by Goffredo - 06-11-2001, 08:40 AM
Re: "in pace recepti"? - by Guest - 06-11-2001, 09:06 AM
arminius "defeats" - by Goffredo - 07-09-2001, 04:18 PM
Re: arminius "defeats" - by Thiudareiks Flavius - 07-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Re: arminius "defeats" - by Guest - 07-10-2001, 02:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An argument for the pace and not the cubit Mark Hygate 109 16,869 01-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate