Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on excavations of the Varus battlesite
Truely impressive everytime I think about it.<br>
A question that comes to my mind (because I am not a Military History expert): is there any battle of more recent times where a similar quality ambush ... sorry ambush is restrictive. Digression: This was a battle! The ambush was the startup and over the three days the armies made ajustments to face the new threats. Arminius was always a step ahead of Varus. I like the idea of a Varus not stupid or cowardly but instead a general, maybe not brilliant, but with good experience and excellent officiers up against a genius. Maybe only another genius could have saved the day.<br>
Sorry about the digression and back to my question. Is their another battle in history that is somewhat similar? Battles are all unique but historians like looking for parallels, analogies and lessons to learn (if it were a waste of time to try to learn from past battles then why teach military history to officiers in acadamies?) The effects of that single Arminius' victory have propagated down european and world history so in that sense it was a truely uniquely important battle.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ugoffredo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>goffredo</A> at: 6/7/01 1:19:19 pm<br></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Messages In This Thread
trap well planned - by Goffredo - 06-06-2001, 12:23 PM
analogies? - by Goffredo - 06-07-2001, 11:18 AM
the sociology of discipline - by Goffredo - 06-08-2001, 10:13 AM