Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A strange silver mask from the Thorsberg bog
well no, it´s rather a matter of probability. As I did not mention all the arguments for a new and modified reconstruction, I can understand that you have difficulties in believing me. I submitted a detailed paper on the topic but it has not been published yet... since five years :x
If anyone is interested, I can send the preprint with still some mistakes to be deleted.

Actually even the folks in Schleswig are considering a new reconstruction for purposes of display. The original should not be modified again, as every change will let the orginal substance suffer more and the piece is in the nowadays version a piece of research history.

Originally the crown was the rear part of the mask. They belonged together as the hinge, which is missing in your copy, can proove. The rear part was slightly overlapping the front part, therefore the mask has towards the rear an undecorated zone which was not visible due to the rear part.

However, you did an amazing job and nothing is going to diminish your craftmanship.
If you need some more pics with details, for example the mask, feel free to contact me.
regards
noxia /Suzi

Messages In This Thread
Helmet - by Graham Sumner - 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM
A strange silver mask from the Thorsberg bog - by noxia - 02-12-2015, 05:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thorsberg tunic Tim Edwards 3 3,345 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Ingvar Sigurdson
  More pics of Thorsberg finds: Auxiliary H, umbo & belt Cornelius Quintus 7 3,250 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS