Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Thread - Making of my 1st belt :)
Sam.
I am not making belt plates at this time that copy is one that was made some time back, I am at this time making the Lauersfort Phalerae and these are being done in the true fashion that the originals were made by hand worked repousse' this kind of work was carried out not just by any craftsmen but artist craftsmen.
The original of that plate I have shown does clearly show that it was a cast piece and of course done in a double type mold, this is where the lower half of it had the design pressed into it and the upper half had a square cone shaped sprue in the middle as can be seen where it was cut away and filed down.
The upper mold apart from having this sprue hole would also of had the three vent holes that helped to create the three integral pins at the rear, for when the molten bronze was poured in the air has to get out some where and thus followed by the bronze.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Official Thread - Making of my 1st belt :) - by PhilusEstilius - 01-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I\'ve just upladed Robert Norton\'s Belt making instructions Anonymous 0 1,195 09-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Anonymous