Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius discussion (was: show your gladius off)
Quote:OOOW Goody 8+) looking forward to seeing it Jason Big Grin
Bryan Philon was referring to the Falcata and how the sword was made, Diodorus also mentions its manufacture, and even this sword has different possible origins.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Very interesting, can you cite where the mention of falcata was made? Is there an online text? I've never read the whole of his works, just that one paragraph that is used in numerous other secondary sources to describe ancient sword quality. Also, isn't the word falcata relatively modern? Philon wrote in Greek, what word did he actually use?

Also, I included the verse to demonstrate that heat treatment methods to add flexibility/springiness to blades existed even in the 2nd century BC. Considering a falcata type blade has a thicker rear spine than a double edged sword like a La Tene type or gladius hispaniensis variety, I'd say it would mean that such methods would be even easier for the latter whose blade geometry lent itself more to being flexible.

[img width=100]http://1501bc.com/files/falcata/DrFalcataForte1.jpg[/img]

Messages In This Thread
Gladius discussion (was: show your gladius off) - by Bryan - 12-29-2014, 09:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different way of drawing the gladius Mycerinus 6 362 04-27-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Gladius questions djurpet 3 1,107 10-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Show your gladius off!!!!!!!!!!! Sextus Saturninus 98 35,759 09-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Artur