Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman horse bits
Hi

A subject close to my heart Smile

There is a third type of bit which is the (proper) hackamore which is only nose pressure and no iron goes in the horse's mouth.

There is no evidence of any curb chains but I would agree with you that the bars we see on the bits are a replacement for this; this is supported by the many examples from the archaeological record of the bit posts having at least three holes in them for this bar to be adjusted.

An alternative function could be to keep the long sides of the bit steady in the horse's mouth (prevents a degree of twisting which would be very uncomfortable for the horse) and has an added advantage of stopping loose reins or anything else interfering with the bit.

Robert Wimmers has made some fabulous reconstructions for me (below) but I won't be riding in them. I have managed to find a modern Spanish curb in iron (black) which I have used. You should have no trouble finding one Smile and I think they add that little bit more authenticity to stainless steel bits.

Here are my lovely reconstructions. It is not until you get them in your hands that you can really understand how they work in the horse's mouth and how "advanced" the Romans' knowledge of their horses is. It is also due to these bits that I am more and more convinced that the saddle could not have been of a rigid wooden tree since there is absolutely no way a rider can communicate with his horse through the seat; and if you are riding off a long rein on a severe curb, you need to be able to do this (in my opinion).

[attachment=11372]Picture005.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11373]Picture006.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Roman horse bits - by LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 12-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Roman horse bits - by Vindex - 12-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Roman horse bits - by Vindex - 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Roman horse bits - by LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 12-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Roman horse bits - by LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 12-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Roman horse bits - by kevin mills - 12-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Roman horse bits - by Vindex - 12-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Roman horse bits - by LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 12-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Roman horse bits - by Vindex - 12-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Roman horse bits - by Vindex - 12-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…