Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New movies about roman era comming soon
Could you give as a clue about that production?

It is set in the first century AD.

I think that some of the actors would protest having to wear a 20 pound Lorica Segmentata.
Leather is much cheaper than metal segmentata.

This is not an issue as light synthetic 'armour' painted to look like metal is widely used now.

When leather musculata first appeared in films it was still generally accepted at the time that, that was what was used. You can still see leather armour in contemporary reference works up to the 1970's.

Only reenactors and people who research know that the Roman legionaries never wore leather segmentatas, or musculatas.

This is not true. Some Italian re-enactors and researchers believe leather was widely used.

Hollywood generally gets a bad press but I am sure we have all seen re-enactment gear which is equally bad. We also forget that Films get a wider audience than re-enactors and probably make a longer impression on the public. Look how many re-enactment events are accompanied by film music on loudspeakers, instantly recognised as 'Roman' music and yet no more authentic than the film costumes!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
New movies about roman era comming soon - by Joan - 12-04-2014, 12:47 PM
New movies about roman era comming soon - by Graham Sumner - 12-06-2014, 06:28 PM
New movies about roman era comming soon - by Joan - 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM
New movies about roman era comming soon - by Joan - 12-09-2014, 04:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worst Roman movies Gaius Decius Aquilius 26 5,860 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  New Roman/Greek movies Anonymous 22 4,539 08-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Los456