Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans vs \"Barbarians\". Could someone explain...
It's my opinion that amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics. You can have the most experienced, best-equipped army that time and money allows, but if you can't get the crap where it needs to be, then you might as well ask for peace. Think of WWII; that was a war that one could argue was decided in the factories. The M4 Sherman tank was entirely outclassed by the Pz. VI Tiger, but the US could and did build twenty Shermans for every Tiger, and got them where they needed to be. The Liberty ships probably more than anything else put the US on track to win the war.

To make this more relevant, the Romans simply had better logistics. Their road system comes readily to mind; they could get their crap to battle much easier than their enemies, which was part of them being able to simply outspend all their enemies.

I don't know a whole lot about the slow fall of Rome, so I won't comment on that. Feel free to disagree with me or call BS if you see it, I'm not a military officer :-)

Messages In This Thread
Romans vs \"Barbarians\". Could someone explain... - by Jack Rizzio - 11-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  big exhibit Barbarians and Romans in Venice Goffredo 8 2,736 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs