Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Characteristics of the Xiphos verus Gladius
I have long wondered why the Romans switched, apparently abruptly, from the xiphos as the primary sword type to the gladius. I have also wondered if the switch corresponded to some other change in military doctrine. This really leaves me with two questions:

1. Was the gladius easier/cheaper to make?
The earlier types, such as example from delos seem like they would not be easier, though the organic hilts do seem somewhat cheaper. The simpler pompeii type certainly seems easier to make, but that type did not appear until long after. I am especially interested in the input of any smiths on the board.

2. Is there a difference in how the swords handle?

This question really goes out to the reenactors. For those of you who have had a chance to play around with good replicas of each type, how do they handle differently? Do you find the gladius more suitable for the type of fighting engaged in by manipular legion, or would a xiphos have worked just as well? For those of you who respond, please specify what types/models you are comparing. Additionally, I'd be interested to know if you have tried either sword with a shield, and if so, what type.

Messages In This Thread
Characteristics of the Xiphos verus Gladius - by Gaius Varro - 10-18-2014, 01:46 PM