Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans
Quote:
MagnusStultus post=359120 Wrote:The reason I am mentioning this is just as a reminder that the cultural ideas that made up a Legion wasn't taken from the Celts like the technology;
I doubt anyone would argue that it was. I do, however, think there are certain parallels between the Greek citizen-soldier and the tribal or early feudal military aristocracy; that is, they are both drawn from the wealthier classes who have a modicum or more of political power.

I would argue that the hoplite/legionary class is too large to have a parallel with feudal nobility, and isn't wealthy or powerful enough in society to.

To use the example of the legionary because every single Greek Polis had different laws so hoplite generalization wouldn't be too accurate the wealth requirement of 11,000 ases before Cannae reduced to 4,000 ases afterwards in order to find conscripts would have much more in common with middle class then nobility considering as late as Augustus the property requirement to be an equestrian was 100,000 denarii.

The ideology as well as class was also too different for comparison; the feudal noblemen just owed fealty to his liege and followed where he led; the citizen voted and had an opportunity to speak against something he objected to and whatever side he took fought the way the popular assembly voted.
Dan

Messages In This Thread
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans - by MagnusStultus - 09-12-2014, 01:02 AM