Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmets, customisation, artistic favors...
I happen to have some photos from two of my helmets. They match on of your requested photos.

[attachment=10707]10620769_10203963195416722_4291853173643613098_n_2014-09-08.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10708]DSC04919_2014-09-08.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10709]DSC04920.JPG[/attachment]

There needs to be much care when we try to make conclusions from our reconstructions. The basic problem is that our reconstructions are seldom "accurate enough". An item has to be correctly shaped, but also corectly weighed too, and to fit the individual as tightly or loosely as it fitted the ancient man, something we will never know. You will be surprized when you see an ancient helmet up close, with how small they are. Were the ancients so small? Did they have so small heads? Did their helmets fit them so tightly, and didn't they need to use paddings, if not for better fit, at least for protection?

That said, we know that they did use padding SOME times under their helmets, in the form of caps (That plato says were made of braided straw) and some vases show a thin band wrapped around the forehead, presumably to make the helmet fit better.
There are also helmets and cuirasses with sighns of repair, some times to make the cuirasses wider (added peaces of metal in the sides). And a small amount of greaveas have holes or rings in the back. But both these alterations all come from Italian finds, and one would think that they also match a difference of culture and even level of workmanship.
Similarly, hellenistic greaves some times had leather bands tied around the leg, under the knee and over the ankle. These are shown both in sculpture and the archeological record (stain of the corroded leather on the greave). This should again be attributed to a change in fashion though, since otherwise the greaves were made in the same way as the earlier classical greaves, and even matched better the musculature of the individual (no stylized muscles).

I didn't have a problem with my corinthian helmet, even without strapping under the chin. It fits nicely, and when the helmet moved from a blow or movement, it always sat back correctly on my head. However now that i have made the high crest the center of balance has moved up, and thus the helmet feels more woby. It still sits back correctly, but it moves more. I will either have to find a way to add a strap though the holes i have already made, or wrap a band around my forehead like the vases show. Or both.

Greaves are the trickiest. Owners of good greaves (not that many) will tell you that they have no problems with their greaves chaffing their legs. They do experience a slipping down of the greave in exceptionally violent movement though. The ancients did have a device that prevented this efect, and whilst not so complicated, it still wasn't the same as the crude piece of fabric that many add around their ankles. This device, which i have reconstructed, and Chris Cameron has used with his greaves with success, prevented the greave from slipping down, rather than padded an already slipped greave. It was almost unnoticeable when the greave was on, but there are many depictions of it without the greaves.

Generally, experience has shown that when something is made as close as possible to the ancient artifacts then most problems with comfort and functionality are solved. An example are the porpakes, and you will find some recent threads discussing this matter.

Khaire
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Helmets, customisation, artistic favors... - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-08-2014, 07:49 PM