Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue.
Quote:Ahh, very well. Thank you again for your responses. I had heard that 16 pounds was a bit more reasonable and perhaps more realistically realized than something as heavy as mine. :lol:

I'm certainly not a big person either, and I have read that 32'' was the diameter of some of the smallest aspides ever found, and 40'' was about the largest. Mine is 38'' on the nose, which is two inches larger than average sizes I'd say. The weight is the bigger issue for me, but not impossible to deal with.

That is a very lovely porpax, Dithyrambus. At 16 pounds I'm sure it's much more manageable. May I ask how much it cost to have it custom-made?

-
I see, Giannis. A bronze covering, then, is far out of my monetary capacity most likely. I will have to count my blessings and look toward getting some leather, fleece, and/or felt and putting it to good use. May I ask how one would append layers of leather onto the inside of the porpax, or either material onto the inside of the aspis itself? Might it be a kind of glue? If so, I'm curious what would be the best to work with.

-

I have another question, though I should probably create a new thread as it's unrelated to aspis construction.

Hi Janas, my shield actually weighs 13 pounds, the overall dimensions are based on an aspis in the Vatican museum and compared with my DSC shield, well, there is no comparison in terms of weight, comfort and overall quality. As for cost, you would need to contact Loricatus (UK) for a quote as the price of materials can fluctuate, and cost is also affected by personal design choices. :-)

http://www.loricatus.co.uk/index.php?c=Home

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Messages In This Thread
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Dithyrambus - 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Huovi - 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Kineas - 11-19-2014, 09:11 PM