Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze strigils: cast or wrought?
I see you are on Etsy. I would be interested in your strigil project if you would consider Greek styles in either com bronze or some sort of tin bronze. Old drum cymbals are a good source of 10% tin - 90% copper bronze. Although no two artifact strigils seem to be the same Greek versions often are grasped inside the handle and Roman versions appear to be held over the handle. I've never seen a Greek strigil with a solid handle, but there are plenty of Roman versions with solid handles or "Hercules club" like handles. Try not to make them too big, many are quite small although their are certainly some monsters out there - let the function dictate the form. I've also seen ceramic and bone versions, which might simply be decorative rather than useful. If you do make some iron versions try to get them shined up nicely as iron does shine well.
Joe Balmos

Messages In This Thread
Bronze strigils: cast or wrought? - by Joe Balmos - 08-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Bronze Montefortino with Thick Cast Rim Creon01 18 3,912 07-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Wrought Iron Crispianus 1 911 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Have you seen this stuff yet? (bronze casting with no cast) Titus Petronicus Graccus 31 7,153 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius