Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander.
Dan wrote:
Union-bashing is only done by the ignorant or the self serving.

So which am I Dan, ignorant or self-serving? As you do not know me, judge wisely. After I made my posting, a tiler turned up on my doorstep. He’s here to quote on the bathroom being retiled. During our friendly exchange of banter he told me the company he works for is great that he loves going to work. He also told me that last week he did not attend a union meeting and was visited by a couple of bikkies asking him to explain why he didn’t turn up and to warn him not to do it again. Now this sort of action is dismissed by the leader of the Labor party, Mr. Bill protector of union corruption Shorten. Is this the Australia people want, because if it isn’t then voting for Labor is a vote for organised crime.

As for the rest of your comment, sorry but it’s the typical leftie mumbo jumbo belting out the us and them theme (rich and poor). Have you ever own a business Dan? And where does personal responsibility come into it? Some people are poor because they have made bad choices in life and some have never taken a risk in their life. One non Australian resident I was talking to was so surprised that the Australian system rewards people who make bad life decisions.

Howard wrote:
I probably wouldn't lay the blame for the nation's ills at the feet of unions alone…..

The union is one of the many problems that needs addressing.

Howard wrote:
But sadly, in this day and age, it seems the "me-minded" are the majority.

How right you are. I vote for what I believe is the good of the country. So whoever Labor of Liberal fits the bill they get my vote. Pensioners vote for whoever will give them the best benefits, students for the same reason and so on and so on. I visited a Buddhist temple in Northern Thailand that was situated on a high hill. While I was sitting on the steps taking in the view a Buddhist monk joined me. He had travelled throughout Australia and was familiar with where I lived. I asked him what his observations were of Australians and he replied Australians were selfish and fearful. In his eyes, Australians were extremely materialistic (the greed). Because of this Australians are fearful of losing what they have. When I am in Thailand with my expatriate friends, whom we call the United Nations, because we are the minority, many of our conversations reflect on our home societies. Those who come from Australia and New Zealand in the group all are in agreement that Australia and New Zealand, the people have become so insular. It is now possible to live in an apartment and not know your neighbour. In Thailand I know my neighbours and they always say hello.

Howard wrote:
The system of government we have in Australia is essentially the same in every country with pretensions to democracy. The people of the nation elect representatives entrusted to carry the opinions and desires of the populace into a process of discussion and decision from which come wise laws. It is these laws which are meant to form the basis of "government" - that is "government" in the sense of regulating, of restraining the excesses of those who might seek advantage for themselves to the peril of their fellow citizens.

What has crept into Australian politics is the prime minister, whoever that maybe, believes they have a mandate to implement their personal vision of what they think Australia should be. So much for the voice of the people and their vision.

Howard wrote:
And so we get back to education. Those who learn they have a past may come to believe they have a future (I don't know who said that but I love it). More down-to-earth, knowledge really is empowering. If the "we-minded" of Australia (and b****r the world, say I, it can look after itself) can take back a decent model of education, the worm may turn.

For that to happen, Australia is going to need a lot more Mr Gormsby’s.

Howard wrote:
I once asked a person debating me what was it made a CEO worth so very much more in dollar terms than a cleaner and got the usual "don't be frivolous" response.

My uncle was CEO of NRC both Australia and Asia. This is back in the 60’s. When he left university, he started as a clerk at NRC and at the end of the day had to sweep the floor. He rose through the ranks through merit. My uncle was responsible for buying what is known as the NRC building in North Sydney. He retired some time back and when I asked whether he got a pay out in his days he said it was small but he had a good salary at NRC. He was quite disgusted by what CEO’s get today. He strongly believed the money should stay in the company and not be distributed in overpaid bonuses. However, my uncle was of the old school and also thought of the good of the company. In my eyes he was a great man.

Messages In This Thread
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM