Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap
Quote:
Bryan post=356215 Wrote:.............., dog bowl as a boss. ...........
Big Grin
Thank you kindly for a Saturday chuckle!...
The 'officers' are not, to my mind, in that scenario (as we have discussed) - they only draw their swords when it's time, or there is a need, to get to the front and inspire (leading rather than commanding).
I do query the idea of shield-bearers overall, except for extremely high ranking officers/kings. I do particularly query the idea I have seen suggested several times before that any slaves are commonly on the battlefield. The odd personal paid servant for Tribunes and above, perhaps. Slaves do not belong on battlefields or around weapons - and they would have to be fed too; an additional logistic burden.

I thought about trying to build some elaborate wooden umbo and spine but I dont have the tools for it. So then it was a matter of having to buy an actual iron, brass or bonze shield umbo but for what I had in mind for the shield, I decided against it. Realism with weight isn't an issue, just balance, and my shield is surprisingly well balanced. I figure having a realistic shield in terms of weight would be great, for most of what I am doing with it, it isn't necessary. In time, I'll buy a realistic one and have it painted but I've yet to see a place that sells well made Republican style scuta.

Slaves were everywhere in the ancient world. I think that anyone that had a personal servant/calo/bodyslave would bring those people into battle with them, arm them, and use them as a shield bearer and a bearer of extra weaponry. There are many examples of armed camp servants and personal slaves that were completely and utterly devoted to their masters. I don't see why you be afraid to arm them. If you trust them enough to accompany you on in war, then they're probably safe to arm. It was probably a great honor to be chosen to accompany your master on campaign, the more slaves owned the higher of an honor. It meant the slave's worth was valued. And these weren't slaves working a latifundia or salt mine that needed to be whipped or chained up daily. So in my mind all officers, from centurion up, who were allowed personal servants/slaves, used them to carry whatever they wanted, including shields, spears, javelins, wine, snacks, medical supplies, etc.

Situation: A battle is about to happen. Early morning, the troops are woken up, fed and then at first light they pour out of the four gates of the camp, marching in units to the battleline under the direction of the tribunes. A centurion marches around his men and they form up in ranks. He bothers to wear an elaborate decoration covered armor, all heavily shined, and still wears his brightly colored cloak, which he'll fight in as well. In his right hand he carries a vine staff, which he uses to emphatically point at his men as he gives them orders. More than anything else, its the symbol of his position. Would that centurion also be encumbered with a 20 lb shield and pila during this time as well? What was his calo doing? Sleeping back in the camp? Heck no, that kid is humping the centurion's kit until he asks for something. My guess is that the shield and pila wouldn't be handed over till about 2 minutes before the battle starts, so the centurion (who would be expected to fight the entire battle in the front ranks) would be nice and fresh. That's my idea anyway.

Messages In This Thread
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Sword Carrying and the Scutum Strap - by Bryan - 06-23-2014, 05:17 PM