Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander.
Gosh, I am an Australian School Teacher and can tell the rest of the world that yes we are like the rest of the world and have parochial attitudes rampant in our society. We also famously have narrow minded media headlines that appeal to the lowest denominator. We also currently have a very confused right wing government that announce policies that do make me sad to be an Australian ( ie Refugees, Global Warming Denial, etc etc)

The programming of languages has reflected our economic designs and where we wish to align ourselves in terms of trading partners.

That said, the supply of language teachers predominantly dictates what language a school can offer. In recent years I have worked at schools where French, German, Italian and Japanese have been offered. I have also had the opportunity to revive elements of the local Indigenous language.

As a teacher of History and English I regularly use the roots of words to engage students, hopefully sparking an interest
to study Latin, Greek, Old English etc when they get to University.

i did rant some more but i do not like jingoism so i self edited

feeling lucky
Richard Robinson

Armidale NSW Australia

Messages In This Thread
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by richard robinson - 06-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM