Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander.
I agree with your comment about Aussie women, I can't complain, I married one and Australia is a good place to live. I can only speak for myself but I think it is more about what direction people want to see where our education system is heading for example is learning another language, especially Latin worthwhile in High schools, this is where the debate is heading. Murdoch press does not help in this debate in its search for a funny headline. Just my opinion but there are some good Australian scholar/historians of Late Roman history around at the moment like Meaghan McEvoy who wrote the book 'Child Emperor Rule in the Late Roman West, AD 367-455' and Hyun Jin Kim author of 'The Huns, Rome and the Birth of Europe' and A.D. Lee who has written a number of books and papers on Rome in Late Antiquity. Where would they be if they did not learn some rudimentary latin in high school. Latin is not for everyone I agree though although if I had my time again I would have chosen Latin, where I could have tried to translate some old texts and not rely on translated books, instead of French which I have never spoken since high school 45 years ago. :unsure:
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by Michael Kerr - 06-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-22-2014, 03:06 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-23-2014, 03:16 AM
Why I\'m Embarrassed to be a Queenslander. - by antiochus - 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM