Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sallust\'s description of Catiline\'s legions.
Quote:Hi Mark
(2) (To GeluSmile "... Vegetius sums it up with his standard 5x2 deployment ... "

I have this problem with Vegetius. He is writing about 380-390AD, possibly addressing himself to Valentinian II, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "ancients" he refers to were the Romans of the early 3rd Century AD. If I am remembering correctly, then you'd expect that his descriptions of an ideal legion (I don't know that he ever describes the use of a legion in an historical incident) would reflect the structure of, say, a Severan legion, assuming he had accessed thorough and reliable sources for that period and decided to follow them closely in forming the his description of an "ancient legion" (Parker's Antiqua Legio).

But, from what (little) Vegetius I've read (and that only in English) his descriptions seem to merge legionary structures from a number of periods (See also H. M. D. Parker 1932 The Antiqua Legio of Vegetius, The Classical Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 3/4, pp. 137-149). For that reason, I'm steering away from Vegetius. ..........

I quite understand the need to be careful, and interpret, Vegetius - for I have done this myself - as noted before.

For my part I believe Vegetius has, effectively, Polybius & Livy in one hand and a knowledge of the Imperial/Augustan changes in the other (perhaps the missing Frontinus :? ) and an understanding of the basics. However, because of that I think his legion-construct is a hypothetical and not based upon reality. I think I can see what he has done - and you will be able to read that shortly here.......as soon as I finish.

What I am shooting for is the 'theoretical standard', for Gelu's point is well made - a General will use the tools he is given - mostly dependent on the tactical and ground situation at the time.

Messages In This Thread
Sallust\'s description of Catiline\'s legions. - by Mark Hygate - 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sallust and the 600 man cohort Steven James 5 2,655 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat