Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols?
It could be an optio, who was send from the legions legate to the regional procurator to get the pay for the legion. That was needed 3 times a year (before Domitian, afterwards 4 times). If in republican times, replace procurator by quaestor of the province.

I would say, a signifer is more appropriate. The signifers dealt with the accounts of the soldiers. While the optio was deputy commander and probably responsible for training and daily military services, the signifer was propably the head of the centurias administration. Nevertheless, also an NCO. I remember of at least one ancient source, were a signifer was sent to get the money from the procurator.

We don't know how big such a group of soldiers (vexillatio) was. Perhaps just a few dozen. Usually enough to protect the money. I guess some bandits or rebels could be greedy enough, to take the risk and attack this group.

Another option would be: a clerk of the quaestor (librarius) was sent to the local tribes to buy grain. The romans payed lousy prices or simply confiscated it, if needed. So they were not very welcome.

We know of a procurator in the province of Asia. He had to buy grain for the legions marching from Europe to Syria. He was accompanied by a centurio, a beneficarius and about 10 legionairs. So replace centurio by optio, and take whatever number of legionairs you think are appropriate.

Or take a group of land surveyors. They planned a new street. Also not that welcome. Accompanied by an optio plus a few dozen men.

It is a safe guess, that vexillationes smaller than a centuria were often led by an optio, signifer or beneficarius.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas

Messages In This Thread
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols? - by Tim - 05-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols? - by Tim - 05-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols? - by Tim - 06-01-2014, 01:16 AM
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols? - by Frank - 06-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols? - by Tim - 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols? - by Tim - 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM