Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle?
I would also agree with Cesar that there have been many such helmets with face masks still on them found, but is this not telling us that these particular helmets were used in battle indeed they were given more care and protection by only being used in the Hippika Gymnasia.

If we try to think of these kind of helmets being used in battle what would be the situation for a cavalryman, when he takes a violent smash against his face mask for most of these were fixed to the helmet permanent with a metal hinge. There would be only one answer to this and that is to take the whole thing off helmet and all and throw it away for it now cannot be used at all.
I think the only cavary sports helmet I can think of where the mask could have been removed quickly would have been the Newstead sports B where the mask was fitted with a leather hinge and not a metal one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle? - by PhilusEstilius - 05-30-2014, 02:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did roman legions ever wear breeches? Leoshenlong 1 255 09-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Any battle where Roman & Sparta face enemy SAJID 7 3,723 10-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line? Tempestvvv 24 12,500 09-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Tempestvvv