Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 to 10th Century Roman/Armenian Casket Figures
Nathan, thanks for posting those images. I wonder if I might impose and ask about the larger context of the first two?

The reason I ask is that the Armenian casket carving is of two soldiers saluting a presumed officer. Interesting details include the fact that the two soldiers are posing in almost identical stances with their hands raised and their shields grasped in a formal manner and not by the inner handle. The 'officer' is represented slightly differently in that he carries what I assume is either a spear or a military standard and his own shield is held by the boss (and in the right hand). This scene is a formalised one and tells a little story of two soldiers recognising/saluting an officer - or perhaps the standard he carries.

Your first two images are also in a wider context, I think, and I am curious about what that context is and if it bears similarities to the casket carving?

The remaining images seem isolated ones, I think!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Messages In This Thread
8 to 10th Century Roman/Armenian Casket Figures - by Longovicium - 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbulo\'s Armenian campaign-----1 or 2 years? Anonymous 1 1,011 06-22-2002, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Anonymous