Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
I've read all the posts in this form. very interesting dicussion despite it being so long ago. I read in an early post Cirpsvs doing an expermiment by wandering out in the cold for several days without any form of long pants as a roman in just his tunic and didn't find it that cold. My only question referance that would be was climitization taken into account? From what I understand Cripsvs is from scotland and there for used to the cold where someone who grew up in italy or perhaps a land far away such as syria would not be. It could be entirely possible that these people from warmer climates would adopt warmer clothing, at least until they adjusted to their new environment.
I also noticed some heated argument's about things such in referance to evidence, and just assuming etc. Even some radical examples involving velociraptors. Not to stir any pots but i'm a believer that no one is right or wrong unless you have evidence to support you. Someone saying the romans used pants during 1st century AD but has no evidence, to me, is as wrong as someone saying they didn't because theres no evidence prior to 2nd century. In my mind unless you have clear evidence such as a prominant roman writer stating out right that pants were first started to appear in the army between 50-55AD as an example then someone saying there is no evidence prior to whatever is as wrong as someone saying they did or probably did. All we can do is make theories and hope the evidence to make a final decision is made. Until then all you can do is theorize. There is no reason to argue in any sort of offencive or hurtful manor. Debating each others ideas is of course always fun and very good to understand all other possiblities, but should be done in a friendly way.
Just my thoughts.
David C

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by David - 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,441 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,164 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,373 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius