Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late La Tene swords, Celts fighting for Rome...
Caesar mentions several tribes as being "Friends of Rome", with the Aedui foremost amongst these, "Caesar did likewise, sending forward the whole of his cavalry, four thousand in number, which he had raised from the whole of the Province, from the Aedui, and from their allies..."(Book I, [15]). The Roman Province, Narbonensis, was inhabited by many tribes at the time of the Gallic War, the largest of these included: the Volcae, Vocontii, and Allobroges.

During the siege of Alesia much of the cavalry on the Roman side was actually German, these were sent out to meet the enemy head on. Those amongst the 6,000 cavalry, led by Caesar himself, that left the fortifications to take on the relief army was most likely Roman and only the most trusted of their Gallic allies. The Gallic tribes (that were not part of the Province) still allied to Rome at this point in war were only the Remi and Lingones; even the faithful Aedui had gone to the side of Vercingetorix.

I do not know about any full online translations but I do know of some great ebooks in English that you can find on youtube (here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snft290-FRc). When listening it helps to view a map of the geography and tribes/cities so that you know what is going on. I would highly recommend getting a physical copy as well.

La Tene culture (and undoubtedly weapons) remained very prominent through the 1st Century A.D. in Britain. The Claudian invasion of Britain did not begin until 43 a.d. and was never effectively ended. There could have been La Tene style swords in use up until 200 a.d. in the more northern reaches of Britannia. As for mainland Celts, the Boii and Nori were relatively untouched during the Gallic Wars. The Boii were rather peacefully subdued in 8 a.d. and Noricum around 16 b.c.. You must also not forget the extremely far reaching tribes that resided in parts of Germania, Illyria, and even Anatolia.

I am also a member on the forum Kelticos, it is a reenactment and general history site for Iron Age tribes, I would highly recommend you check it out. I think most of your questions about the Celtic peoples would be eagerly answered there.
Glad to be of assistance.
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan

Messages In This Thread
Late La Tene swords, Celts fighting for Rome... - by Ariovistus Togodubnus - 12-23-2013, 04:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article draft \"Fighting Greeks, Naked Celts\" Michael J. Taylor 19 5,205 03-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  Late La Tene Warrior Burial from Bulgaria petar 0 1,075 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Last Post: petar
  Why did Celts wear their swords on the right? The Alexandrian 2 2,308 10-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio