Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late La Tene swords, Celts fighting for Rome...
Hello people! My first post here on RAT after some reading of the old threads. Wink
I'm thinking of ordering a custom La Tene sword to broaden my sword collection and after some research I decided for a late La Tene sword. I like them because of their great diversity (blade lengths, cross sections, tip shapes, fullers...). Most of the examples I found in the books or on the internet are from Celtic areas north of Alps, still free from Romans. But I wondered about the Celts allied to Rome and who fought for Rome as allies or auxiliaries. Does anybody how did that function? A Celtic tribe allies itself with Rome, it sends few hundreds/thousands warriors to fight with Romans, do they fight under their own tribal chiefs? Do they fight in their traditional manner with their old weapons or Romans impose some kind of standardization and issued weapons to them? What was the difference between allied Celtic troops and auxiliaries (if any)? Northern Italian Celtic tribes were conquered about 200BC, are there swords found from these areas from 2nd and 1st century BC? Were they different than swords from the still independent Celtic areas?
Thanks in advance people! Smile

Messages In This Thread
Late La Tene swords, Celts fighting for Rome... - by Luka Borščak - 12-23-2013, 02:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article draft \"Fighting Greeks, Naked Celts\" Michael J. Taylor 19 5,250 03-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  Late La Tene Warrior Burial from Bulgaria petar 0 1,084 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Last Post: petar
  Why did Celts wear their swords on the right? The Alexandrian 2 2,317 10-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio