Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was Roman army at the height of its power?
I am one of those voting adoptive era, but I do so knowing it is not the easy, simple answer. Good points have been made throughout the thread here. For instance, I do think that the later roman army had a more diverse set of enemies, generally better equiped and highly motivated, than the enemies during the adoptive emperors.

Another point I find when going through sources is that (even though some authors greatly exaggerate) easy times and rest usually meant a disaster was imminent for the roman army. The legions, at least in some parts of the empires, saw a lot less action than its later counterparts, the later ones fighting both romans and enemies well versed in the roman ways of war.

I myself have always been a stout supporter of Auelian and his acheivements on the battlefield - the army of this era seems to have performed well, including the important battle of Naissus. So if I could I probably would have changed my vote now that I think about it. Alas...

Messages In This Thread
When was Roman army at the height of its power? - by Joakim - 11-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Average height of a Roman fortlet in Britain tikeshe 4 1,979 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  sling power/catapult power Johnny Shumate 56 11,004 02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman Cavalryman Height? Gaius Honorius Felix 25 6,900 06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Last Post: claudia crisis