Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statue of Germanicus and Officer Impression
Questions and the request for most humble opinions of creating a 64 A.D. Roman Officer Impression.

I have circled the area in read that I am questioning.
These two rows (On this statue) appear to be connected to the Cuirass plate (To me anyhow.) Do they appear that way to you?

In embarking on making my officer impression, knowing that these statues are really all that we have to go by, <-----am I correct in that thought? Or are there other resources?

If the burden of proof is on us as individuals… are statues acceptable? I realize that they are all different. No two are alike. I know that it is an "Artists" interpretation of what they look like. But this stature being in Bronze, and from the first century a.d., In your humble opinions… is it the closest we have to the real thing for a "ROMAN" impression… Not a Greek. I realize this is an emperor and not an officer.

My thoughts are… as I begin to move towards certain parts of the construction… to attach plates similar to these with a leather band. The top whoopedee do Ptreygaes would be a leather band with brass appliqués. The second row would also be a leather band with the hinged metal plates attached to it. These would be attached to both the front and back cuirass plates.

The longer straight Ptreygaes that are not pictured on this statue but on others with the fringe on the bottoms, would actually be a part of my Subarmalis.
WIthout any other references or resources out there that I have found other then statues… I would like peoples opinions as to if this is logical enough thinking for a 64 a.d. Officer Impression.

Thank You in Advance

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Statue of Germanicus and Officer Impression - by Patrick - 11-03-2013, 04:30 AM