Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching for pictures of early Gladiator helmets
I've just received the 2008 edition of "Das Spiel mit dem Tod" and to my amazement, among the new material is a picture of the Castel San Angelo helm. I saw this helm at the castle way back in 1966, on my first trip to Rome when I was 18. When I went there again in 1971 it was no longer on display. When I got the first edition of Marcus Junkelmann's book it was mentioned, but there was no picture. I was relieved to see this confirmation because I was beginning to think that I had imagined it. I corresponded with Junkelmann about it, and he said that he had heard of it but was unable to track it down or find a picture of it. It seems that he finally did. It's a brimmed helmet without visor or cheekpieces, like the Higgins example. Its crest is semicircular, like the Higgins and the Detroit helms. The front of the brim is much longer than the back, and curves downward, giving it an appearance unlike the others. I believe this completes our pictures of all the known gladiator helms (not counting fragments in various museums and collections).
Pecunia non olet

Messages In This Thread
Searching for pictures of early Gladiator helmets - by john m roberts - 11-03-2013, 01:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladiator Helmets on Conal 14 5,201 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Olaf
  Pictures of Gladiator equipment? Caius Fabius 14 4,703 12-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Gashford
  Gladiator helmets Invictus_Thrax 3 2,882 05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix