Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in barracks: when the cat is away...
I'd be interested to see the shoes in question other then from size I'm not sure you can definitely say a shoe was male or female as far as style went... though there are exceptions eg Lucius Thales solea.. females shoes tend to be those generally smaller then mens sizes, but this can equally be applied to young males...
I dont dought there were plenty of females around forts theres simply too many smaller shoe finds for it to be otherwise and even in a place like Vindolanda only a very small portion of the footware is likely to have survived...
Buying shoes for a member of the family etc is only possible if you have sizing something I dont think the romans had, so the majority of footware would probarbly be made to measure which meant you had to visit a shoe maker, something that is easily forgotten these days...

Best Regards
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Living in barracks: when the cat is away... - by Crispianus - 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Barracks Lothia 0 452 11-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Lothia
  Barracks at York Nathan Ross 14 3,097 07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Barracks for 120 cavalry of a legion JeffF 29 5,435 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio