Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Musculata made of Metal or leather?
Quote:
Urselius post=342555 Wrote:
Dan Howard post=342515 Wrote:There is no way to respond to it. By your logic, If someone once used them sometime, somewhere, then the Romans could have used them too.

Precisely, though the logic is not mine - Aristotle would have recognised it.
But, in order to follow through with this line of reasoning you actually have to produce an extant example of a leather musculata. A medieval one will do. We know that metal ones were made during the classic revival of the Renaissance but I can't think of any leather ones.

But I am not trying to prove that Romans used leather muscle cuirasses, just that the idea that they could have done is neither impossible nor ridiculous.

Personally I think bronze and iron are more likely to have been used - but to dismiss the possibility of leather at our present level of knowledge is unhelpful. Always keep an open mind until the available information makes probabilities much clearer.

Much less probable materials have been used to create functional objects - meat was used to make trinket boxes! In Nelson's navy, age old salt beef was carved by sailors into boxes - when polished they looked like they were made of mahogany.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
Lorica Musculata made of Metal or leather? - by Urselius - 08-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Musculata made of Metal or leather? - by Luca - 08-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Musculata made of Metal or leather? - by Urselius - 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Musculata made of Metal or leather? - by Urselius - 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata: Mass produced or tailor made? Mrbsct 11 4,348 08-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  lorica hamata made of bronze? Publius Claudius Strabo 5 2,265 09-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Female Lorica Musculata Sulla 57 11,122 04-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sulla