Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book: RomansClothingFromTheRomanEraInNorthWEur
The book is a photographic 'essay'. It contains around 150 pages of highly detailed and very sharp photographs in 'octavo' format. This means that several head-and-shoulder pictures are actually life-sized. The book is not just concerned with the Roman military, as it also has people in civilian dress, slaves, wives, sons, daughters, adults, children, tradesmen - you name it, they are here. Although not a re-enactor myself, I can appreciate the work that has gone in to creating these costumes and equipment. The detail is impressive. "Ordinary" Roman citizens are shown wearing iron rings, while the aristocrats have gold rings - just one example.

The book has two introductions, one by the editor of "Ancient Warfare" magazine, Jasper Oorthuis (I think he also fronts a web-site about Roman Army discussions, or some such, :-)). One introduction is concerned with the sources of information on which these re-enactors' gear is based and the other looks at how reliable these sources of information are. Each picture has a small description at the back. This is perhaps the one weak point in the book as these notes don't tell you very much really.

It's a hefty sum to have to shell-out, I agree, but I think it's well-worth the outlay. I've got several books on my shelves of a similar subject matter (published both in the UK and France) and this new one is by far the best. Ask Santa for it this Saturnalia!

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
New Book: RomansClothingFromTheRomanEraInNorthWEur - by Caratacus - 08-02-2013, 10:48 AM