Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Republic Consular Army deployment...
@Macedon,

Well, that's sad. It's lucky that my 'little thesis' is about organisation and that this has been a complete digression.

You ask me for sources - I am not aware of any sources which describe the mechanics of a cavalry charge in the ancient world (and so it's difficult to counter an assertion neither of us have any information on). Please, if you know of any and can assist in their interpretation, then let's discuss them and see where they lead. Yes, I have the Byzantine manuals.

A quick search will find me the detail of the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' - wherein the cavalry charged in 3 distinct lines (2 complete Regts the first two and the last a fifth regt). I am sure there are good descriptions of some of the ones at Waterloo, but cannot reference them easily just now - I am particularly minded to recall the example of French Lancers (in the first line) followed by Hussars in support (the second line); which was considered particularly dangerous.

So, if I cannot appeal to either 'logic' (which must have a different meaning for each of us, but that's no matter), or 'common sense' - I will try 'physics' given that I'm an Engineer too (I'll be using physics tomorrow); coupled with your greater experience of riding.

In one of the Greek attested 'formations', you are charging in a file of cavalry with each horse only some 5-8 ft (10ft if you're lucky) apart from each other nose to tail - at over 20mph (that's over 30ft per second) - with horses even closer to your left and right.....

What happens when the lead horse of the file hits either an infantry spear, or even the man - or almost stops to strike at another opposing cavalryman? What happens to all the horses behind that lead trooper who will cover the space in-between in a lot less than 1 second?

Please explain to me, if you really think that such a situation is really not a problem - that I am actually irrational not to genuinely believe that cavalry has to fight in more discreet lines. If you cannot, then you might agree that the sources do not cover everything. I have a little more respect for your Greek forebears than to think that they were suicidal - no source (that I am currently aware of) suggests that indeed.

For any one else? Would a poll be of any value? (I suspect not, but would appreciate any knowledge of any source on the detail of cavalry charges that anyone is aware of - because now I'm charged up on what was a digression!) Smile

Messages In This Thread
Quincunx and Keppie\'s hypothesis - by Bryan - 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by antiochus - 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by Mark Hygate - 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  frontage of a consular army Michael Collins 25 2,750 09-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,469 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,606 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan