Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Republic Consular Army deployment...
Quote:
Mark Hygate post=338250 Wrote:Unless I am (and will happily be) mistaken, Arrianus was a Greek priest, who travelled widely and obtained the favour of Hadrian.
You are! :errr: Although Arrian was certainly known as a philosopher, he was also a Roman senator who served as legatus Augusti pro praetore (i.e. consular governor) of the key military province of Cappadocia in the mid-130s. His previous career will have entailed the command of a legion (a necessary prequel to command of an armed province) and (probably) a tribunate in a legion (though some senators managed to skip this step). And he was Bithynian, not Greek! Wink

Ahh, well then..... :dizzy:

So, the Forward in James DeVoto's translation is wrong (the only place I would have got the info I had to hand)? I'm genuinely surprised at that. So, 'born between 90-95AD to a Romanised Greek family' is wrong? Not a 'priest for life of Demeter & Kore'? Certainly nothing in that forward suggested to me any military element at all. Is there actual evidence (here it's me asking this!) that he was a senator and did command a legion, or is that supposition?

PS - although that doesn't preclude any criticism mind you - he's still writing from a 'distant' perspective, just like Polybius.

Messages In This Thread
Quincunx and Keppie\'s hypothesis - by Bryan - 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by antiochus - 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by Mark Hygate - 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  frontage of a consular army Michael Collins 25 2,665 09-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,451 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,597 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan