Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons
Folkert,

Since bows with syahs show up in the 2nd century BC, I would think there would be an overlap in the early part of the 1st century. The Scythian bow was "slower" (in arrow delivery) than the new style. For that reason, I think just about everyone switched fairly rapidly. Old finds in the Takla Makan show that both the early Sarmatians (Yue-chi and Wusun) and the Chinese were making bows with syahs. The Iaz-Iazyage bow-- first one to arrive in Europe-- had syahs. By the early 2nd century AD, the Roman army had switched to the new style. This is confirmed by the pile of syahs found at Caerleon, evidently from abandoned bows by the 2nd Legion. I think the old bow died a quick and natural death. And I really don't know what promted Simonenko to make the statements he did.

If you are planning on a bow for both early and late impressions, a Scythian bow would be "extremely old-fashioned." Confusedilly:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons - by Alanus - 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons of 1st century Germans Czear12 3 2,521 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,445 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 68 34,569 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer