Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Republic Consular Army deployment...
Quote:.................

Full Online Translated works of Polybius

Thank you for the link - I have had varying success with access to some of the online sources - for my little thesis I have been concentrating on Book 6, whilst I have the recent translation by Robin Westerfield of 1-6 +12. This discussion is something of a digression, although very interesting.
Quote:Which ancient source said the Roman century had 80 men? What time period was the source writing about?
Polybius states the maniples of the Hastati and Princeps were 120 men, while the Triari (or Pilus) were 60 men. At Cannae, the maniples were even larger in terms of the amount of men......................

I am keen to defend that thesis next month, rather than give bits away beforehand, but it's a good rehearsal - I take the 80 man century direct from Polybius Bk 6 - for in each case you have forgotten the Velites (and you are not alone in doing that) - 20 per century and 60+20=80

Secondly, whilst I just re-scanned the final chapters of Bk3 (Cannae) I couldn't see any reference to larger maniples and would much appreciate a more specific reference, for it's all important to the arguments against my thesis?

Quote:Can I play?......................'

This though - yes, an interesting alternative. My simple question to you is - would you seriously suggest to the carefully trained police professionals in the pictures I append here for interest that standing shoulder-to-shoulder is not the best way and that they should leave gaps? For if true you can save most governments a great deal of money. For myself, considering that the riot police are equipped exactly like the Romans, but with non-lethal versions - and I can assure you from personal experience that you can move around just fine as long as you practice - whilst dodging and dealing with petrol bombs at the same time!

The lower picture shows perfectly the value of a 'phalanx' - you can do 'anything' behind it! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Quincunx and Keppie\'s hypothesis - by Bryan - 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by antiochus - 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by Mark Hygate - 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  frontage of a consular army Michael Collins 25 2,648 09-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,447 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,596 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan