Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Republic Consular Army deployment...
In order to make any frontage calculations, we have to make certain assumptions as to what the "norm" was and of course always keep in mind that depths would be set according to circumstances, so no calculation can really be made the one true and undisputed truth that would be followed by all generals in all battles.

We need the intervals among soldiers, possible intervals within the battle-line and the assumed depths for both infantry and cavalry. These are the main variables assuming that the number of the men themselves will of course be a constant equal to their nominal strength. So, what are the values you used in your model?

Now, regarding the cavalry deployment you chose to use. When I spoke about multiple cavalry lines, I had in mind the later cavalry tactics that used to indeed array the horse in multiple independent battle-lines.Why do you think it is possible that the Roman cavalry would array in three lines of intersupporting turmae? Have you found any evidence thereto or of such a system? Plus, what makes you think that the Republican Roman cavalry used the so-called Cantabrian circle, which, IIRC, does also not require multiple squadrons arrayed behind one another? And of course we are again discussing "normal" deployment. I am sure, that according to circumstances, anything was possible, of course we have cavalry behind the legions, or infanty in abnormal depths etc etc.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by Macedon - 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Quincunx and Keppie\'s hypothesis - by Bryan - 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Early Republic Consular Army deployment... - by antiochus - 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  frontage of a consular army Michael Collins 25 2,665 09-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Hanny
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,451 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,597 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan