Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator Tournament
I fully support this idea!! I would fly to Europe to participate in it!

Safety and equipment standards are going to be a BIG issue. It is easy for some classes of gladiators to protect themselves and still appear to be historically accurate. For example a kidney belt would be needed and a large leather belt would be accepted by most. A cup is easily hidden. Unfortunately the Retiarii has no head protection what so ever. I would not let one of my gladiators not even myself go into a tourney with no head protection.

Equipment! To remain "historically accurate" live steal, even blunted steal, couldn't be used. It is too much of a liability. Do you use needlefelt or wood? Needlefelt will not do great damage to a person but the core if it breaks could do great damage. Wood has the same issue, if it breaks it will become sharp and do great harm. You could use a hard wood like oak or even rattan. When rattan breaks it just shreds up and doesn't become hazardous. The equipment of the fighters would also be an issue. Will the equipment actually take a hit and protect the fighter?

I would look into the SCA and there fighter regulations on safety and armor standards. Some SCA groups even do Roman but to fight they have to dress in armor not period for Roman to protect the fighter.

The point system I think would be easy to overcome. In our Ludus if a fighter takes a hit that would kill a man, yes we use the honor system, we go down. When a fighter receives three non fatal hits he goes down. The only issue I see is declaring a winner. With some fighters fighting multiple styles and others fighting only one class with no losses.

With enough thought, hard work, determination this can happen! I hope this helps!!
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda

Messages In This Thread
Gladiator Tournament - by Aulus Maximus - 05-10-2013, 01:42 AM
Gladiator Tournament - by Márk György Kis - 05-10-2013, 03:36 AM
Gladiator Tournament - by M. Demetrius - 05-10-2013, 04:08 AM
Gladiator Tournament - by Jori - 05-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Gladiator Tournament - by Olaf - 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM