Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Julius Caesar lived to invade Parthia?
Quote:On the other hand, he probably planned to take along Cassius Longinus, one of the few survivors of Carrhae and an outstanding officer, who managed to extricate his men from the debacle.
Hmmmm, Cassius simply used the fact that he and a few of his companions were on horseback, deserted his commander and fled to Syria... (after all for cavalry it was much easier to escape than for infantry) I don't see this as an exhibition of his qualities as an officer.

On the other hand, later he was able to defend Syria against Parthian invasion only with two legions assembled from survivors of the Carrhae disaster and even defeat the Parthian army. Although mostly he was fortified in Antioch and tried to avoid battle with the Parthians and later won by setting and ambush, I think this is much more noteworthy.

Anyway, although he probably wasn't a bad commander, I don't think he was that good either.

Quote:Another question: how much of the Parthian victory can be attributed to the general Surena? Would he have been in command against Caesar?
Surena was executed by Orodes probably quite shortly after the battle of Carrhae (Plut. Crassus 33).

By the way, those interested in Caesar's planned Parthian campaign and able to read German may find this article by J. Malitz interesting.

Greetings,
Alexandr

Messages In This Thread
If Julius Caesar lived to invade Parthia? - by Alexandr K - 04-26-2013, 12:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Pirates Such a Threat it Took a Military Genius Like Julius Caesar to Beat Them? Wrangler29 1 181 06-05-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,338 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle? Tempestvvv 3 3,707 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Bryan