Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Praetorian Guard play a role on battlefield?
Hello,

Actually 2 cohorts of Praetorian Guard were with Germanicus on his campaigns in Germania and fought by Idistaviso and Angrivarii walls (Tac. Ann. II. 16, 20).

Praetorians were with Claudius in Britain (currently no reference at hand - will try to find it later).

During civil wars after Nero's death the Praetorians again appeared on battle fields (Tac. Hist. I. 87, II. 14, 18-19, 21-22, 24-26). They fought also in the battles near Cremona (Plut. Otho 12. 6; Tac. Hist. III. 84).

During Domitian's reign the Praetorians fought against Germans and Dacians (Cass. Dio LXVII. 6. 5). Trajan took the Praetorians to Dacia and Parthia and they later accompanied also Lucius Verus on his Parthian campaign and Marcus Aurelius in Germania. In these cases the Praetorian Guard was involved in actual fighting. The Praetorians weren't there only as a body guard of the emperor. We know about several praetorian prefects killed in action. Also if I recall this correctly, another support for their role in combat comes from various inscriptions, which indicate higher mortality rates of Praetorians at these times, which is most probably due to their involvement in battles.

Also Septimius Severus kept his Praetorians busy - they fought at Lugdunum (Cass. Dio LXXV. 6), in the East (Cass. Dio LXXV. 11) and in Britain (Cass Dio LXXVI. 14. 5).

The Praetorians were almost the only ones, who fought for Macrinus against Elagabalus after most of the other troops defected to the other side. Only after Macrinus fled, the Praetorians also surrendered and joined Elagabalus (Herodian. V. 4. 8-10.).

Under Aurelian the Praetorians campaigned against Palmyra and fought at Emessa (Zos. I. 52-53).

The Praetorians fought in the battle of Milvian bridge (Euseb. Hist. Eccl. IX. 9. 5; Vita Const. I. 38.)

The above is just a quickly assembled list. There are other possible actions, that could involve the Praetorian Guard. In some of the instances it is not possible to tell, if the Praetorians joined the fighting or acted only as the Emperor's body guard or were only accompanying the praetorian prefect. But in many cases they certainly were involved in heavy combat, so we can safely regard them as a true fighting unit, not only body guards or some ceremonial units.

Greetings,
Alexandr

Messages In This Thread
Does Praetorian Guard play a role on battlefield? - by Alexandr K - 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do swords play just as much an equal role defensively as shields when using both? Wrangler29 2 268 04-25-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Mustaches in the praetorian guard 1493541 17 6,957 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Praetorian Guard Questions antiochus 19 6,414 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Last Post: markhebb