Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Societas Equitum Romanorum
Quote:@ Vindex, just recently i talked with my collegea the archeologist of Maastricht who saw a programm on tv on "pottok, the bask horse "from south France and North Spain ETA country. These were already known in Roman times. Maybe just a replacement for you mare ?? Wink

Strange you should mention this!! (and thank you for your information) I am very much of the mind that due to the temperament, conformation (how the horse is put together) and depictions of the majority of ridden horses on stele etc, the area you describe produced a very hardy, up to weight versatile horse. Although Pura Raza Espangol (PRE or Andalusian) and , in some degree the Portugese Lusitano are the closest in breed type, I have been looking at these rarer breeds.

I am also of the opinion that the criollo horse (now only found in South America, but imported from Spain with the Conquistadores) which also has similar character traits and build to old PRE types ie small but incredibly strong, agile and, more importantly, brave without being stupid! The horse I'm sitting on in my avatar was a Chilean criollo and although you can see he was quite small, he felt like a much bigger horse to ride. Far more substance than an arab and just as hardy, although rarely over 15.2hh
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Societas Equitum Romanorum - by Jvrjenivs - 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Societas Equitum Romanorum - by Vindex - 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Societas Equitum Romanorum - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Societas Equitum Romanorum - by Agrimensor - 03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Societas Equitum Romanorum - by Vindex - 03-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cohors II Italica Civium Romanorum arklore70 0 1,523 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Last Post: arklore70
  Cohors II Italica Civium Romanorum Re established arklore70 8 2,955 05-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Last Post: arklore70