Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Quote:"We know the Romans used pants at least 30 years before Trajan", I may say "We don't have evidence that pants were used until 100 AD, but I do use them with my 70 AD impression, also leg wraps and cloaks were used to...."
Ye gods... :-(

In the midst of all this wanton whatiffery, just spare a thought for those of us who have to field the questions that begin 'I read somewhere...' or 'I saw a re-enactor wearing...' and then patiently explain the difference between speculation and evidence-based re-enactment. Sure you can use experimental archaeology to fill in gaps, document it, and present it as what it is (a possibility) but to rampantly prance around in titanium-enhanced bejewelled cod-pieces because there's no evidence the Romans didn't, and it seemed like a neat idea at the time, does nobody any favours, least of all the perplexed public.

I always strongly advise dismounting from the velociraptors, putting aside the Roman hang-gliders, and sticking with the evidence ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-ena - by mcbishop - 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,442 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,168 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,373 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius