Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Quote:It's too easy to look in hindsight and go "well they could have done this and this with engines"
But yes, comparing implementing a steam engine compared to implementing pants is about the most ludacris comparison I have ever heard.
Yes, it might be. But I just showed that those nice-sounding statements like "if it worked, they used it" are just not true on the whole line, and can therefore not be used as evidence or argumentation. I also don't see how you compare a triumph to pants, if we're going down that road, but that's not my intention.
It is not because the Romans adopted X, they also adopted Z. Yes, they might have adopted pants, but you haven't got any proof for the 1st century AD. Simple as that. I might also say that as:
It's too easy to look in hindsight and go "well if they had them in the 2nd century they would have had them in the 1st century as well, because they had seen them by then".

Quote:I didn't say the Romans used "everything", I said they used things that worked well for them, and my statement is true, I just gave several examples (chainmail, gallic helms, gladius, fighting formation, triumphs), honestly why do you not give that any credit?
See my post above, as I already have answered this question.

We just do not come any closer to an answer to our questions with generalisations like this or with extrapolations based on no evidence.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 03-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,442 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,167 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,373 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius