Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Quote:Not a very scientific way of putting it. I see this kind of assumptions far too much on RAT to justify an opinion or being used to declare a hypothesis as truth. Some of these assumptions present themselves as answering questions which might only be answered by a methodology of a history of mentalities; some of them are just plain wrong (e.g. "if it worked, they used it" - the ancients knew of the steam engine, yet did not use it).
If anyone who uses these assumptions can back up those statements with sources and/or scientific literature, I would be happy to see them and learn something new (no sarcasm intended).

I do not say of course that they are completely wrong - I only question the 'method'.

So you didn't like my "more" scientific mention of how the Romans adopted the gladius, triumphs, chainmail, helmets, maniple formation? Please don't take me out of context in order for you to look more intelligent.

If you want to talk about the steam engine, then by your extended logic "nuclear fission worked well but people of the 20th Century didn't adapt it for their cars because they were stubborn".

I'm amazed you actually compared a steam engine to a pair of pants. And I'm the one being put down for using logical conclusions base on analysis and experience?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,442 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,168 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,373 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius