Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment
Tarbicus,

I am not imposing any modern notion on the Romans but based on the evidence that exists there is no Absolute that Roman legionaries did or did not wear whatever. We go back to the same argument. People use sculpture when it suits them and unless a source is very specific about something, interpretation does have its allowances. You are conjectring and assuming based on what Cripvs did. Cripvs did this so the Romans......

Another thing, you forget that the Romans wanted to distance themselves in language and acts from others that were NOT Roman? So any characteristic of so called barbarians either clothing or otherwise, would be downplayed. Of course someone would write its barbarian to wear femenalia....how else would you distinguish yourself. Propaganda. Because in the end the Romans did wear according to sculpture trousers. So what happened? All of a sudden they thought barbarian fashion to be OK or maybe its cold and we need to cover up.

Also, this concept of moder vs ancient is totally off the wall. What makes anyone think that because we do things a certain way that 2000 years ago there were not also done albeit differently?

The idea that we today see something and they did not see it the same way has not weight whatsoever. Granted there are things that are different but the same can be said about different people in modern cultures as well.

There is time for evidence and there is time for extrapolation based on surrounding evidence. The extrpolation part can be very plausible if done carefully.

People just look at sculpture.....yep no pants 1st C AD. Then you go to the 2nd C and Oh....there are pants. Therefore NO ONE in the 1st C AD EVER wore pants. Please.......

I have looked at the same evidence on the RAT database, have all the books from Graham, Bishop, Connolly etc. Nonetheless, my approach is less rigid. This comes from being a scientist.....we accept all possibilities UNLESS COMPLETELY PROVEN WRONG.

That is all I will say upon this because it is apparent that it will just be a wheel going round and round between seeing is believing and believing what you do not see.

Oh well.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Winter Clothing in 1st century AD legionary re-enactment - by Doc - 02-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Legionary Leggings Antoninus05 12 3,417 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Best Legionary Helmet for 43AD or Mid Century Antoninus05 6 2,149 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: texascavtrooper
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,338 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius