Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clothing Patterns for Late East Roman/Byzantine
Hi Tim,

Quote:It is a myth based upon selective archaeological survival, and selective publication, that the Coptic style dominated the Empire in Late Antiquity. Outside Egypt semi-tailored tunics and coats were the norm for men, in the style known in the Egyptian context as the "Iranian / Persian horsemen's" outfits.
That's quite a bold claim and I'm not going to argue against it, but I sure would like to hear more about that. By 'Outside Egypt', you mean the Eastern part of the Empire or anywhre from Anatolia to Britain?
I would not say that Coptic style tunics were the only ones seen in the streets, but you sure come across them quite often in art, especially where military and the higher groups in society are portrayed. Of course, local styles always occcur and older styles are also present still.
So although the word 'dominated' might indeed be overstressing their importance in art, to call the current knowledge "a myth based upon selective archaeological survival, and selective publication", is quite something else in my opinion.

Do tell us more!

Now reading your 2003 article.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Clothing Patterns for Late East Roman/Byzantine - by Robert Vermaat - 01-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help With Realistic Late Roman Clothing for Starting Out? Liburnius 20 8,769 07-12-2017, 02:57 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Roman helmets, Byzantine Black Widow61 31 7,912 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Late-Roman and East Roman Armour SvenLittkowski 21 5,656 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte