Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
really large helmets
One factor thwarting a proper fit is that the helmet bowls are round, while the human head is eliptical. That's why a 25" bowl-- which 95% of the Deepeeka's are-- won't always fit a 24" head. Caius Man, of the So Cal Legion VI, has a method of "smooshing" (I believe that's the proper technical term for it) the helmet so that it is longer front-to-back than it is side-to-side, and this has helped a lot of our guys. Tragically, I've never actually been there when he's done it, but I believe he mounts it in a vise sideways and gently cranks it until it's under enough pressure to distort the original round shape, but not enough to cause an outright buckle. Leaves it for a few days, then tries it out. If more smooshing is required, he repeats the process. I don't think he heats it beforehand. The key is leaving it undisturbed for a few days, allowing the metal time to reshape itself. But again, be forewarned: too much initial crank on the vise can result in a permanent buckling that will be exceedingly difficult to repair!<br>
<br>
I'd give this a shot before spending any more money on extra finders fees. I've had more than one Deepeeka dealer tell me there's only one size: 25". Any slightly smaller or bigger helmets are purely the result of workmanship/factory deficiencies, not any deliberate attempt to provide reenactors with a better choice of size.<br>
<br>
Gil <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
really large helmets - by Carlton Bach - 02-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Re: really large helmets - by Caius Fabius - 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Re: really large helmets - by Anonymous - 02-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Re: really large helmets - by Caius Fabius - 02-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Re: really large helmets - by Anonymous - 02-23-2005, 10:53 PM